How did you get published?
Oh man, that is a long answer. I'll try to shorten it into steps.
1. Wrote a book.
2. Edited that book.
3. Queried agents
4. Received about a hundred rejections.
5. And one offer of representation.
6. Revised the book with the agent.
7. Submitted the book to publishers... and...
8. Got rejected by every single one.
9. Wrote another book.
10. Revised that book.
11. Sent book to agent, who didn't love the book.
12. Parted ways with agent.
13. Queried agents again.
14. Received almost a hundred rejections again.
15. But also received 9 offers of representation.
16. Signed with my agent.
17. Revised my book.
18. Submitted the book to publishers.
19. Accepted pre-empt from HarperCollins after only 48 hours on submission.
So, just follow these 19 easy steps...
Just kidding. I'm sure you've heard this, but every book has it's own path to publication, and no two roads are alike. I won't lie and say the entire process was easy, but it was definitely worth it.
This was interesting to me because I feel like I've been attempting this writing thing FOREVER! And I just love Brodi's story. It gives me new hope in my writing :) Never give up!